I have been using mod_proxy since the 1.3x version and am yet to see this
feature implemented in Apache. Why is it so difficult ?

We often expose new backend applications, scripts. content on a daily
basis and it is a pain to remind myself to bounce the server late in the
evening and test to make sure the changes went it successfully.

It would be nice to have Apache reload proxy rules at regular
(configurable) intervals w/o the need to bounce the webserver.

Another thing, I desire in mod_proxy is the ability to specify a Failover
backend (remote) host, in case one host does not respond or is too busy.
Ideally it would  be great to have some kind of load-balancing proxy (with
failover) solution so that we do not have to rely on external
load-balancers.

PS: I was excited to see "mod_proxy_balancer" module in Apache 2.1/2.2
specs, but the excitement only lasted a while as it does not do what the
name suggest and as I explained above. It is load balancing amongst the
worker threads for proxying. Just wonder how is it handled in the current
version of Apache2,0,5x. Correct me if I am wrong !

BTW, where do we request enhancements in Apache2 ?!