Joshua,

thanks for the quick response.

To address your comments;

 the  RewriteEngine On command is just above the Virtual host section (5th line from the top of the snippet)

I've removed the % signs and nothing changed in the operation of the rewrite. So the %age sign was superfluous.

Now since the engine is on, can you think of any reason the
            RewriteLog "/var/log/httpd/rewrite_log"
            RewriteLogLevel 8
isn't working?

Cheers