Hello List,

I just joined, as I've had little need for assistance because my web servers have always been relatively vanilla in configuration.

Today, I'm trying to get SSL setup on my apache2 web server. This has gone extremely well. The hard part for me is forcing people to use a website in the SSL mode, rather than just plain old text. There's a few problems. The people using this site are not going to remember to enter https:// with they type the site name. Also, this particular site is based almost entirely on phpBB, which has many references to the full website address, including the http:// at the beginning.

Here's what I need from you:

1) I have determined that the best way to combat this is through the rewrite engine. I currently have the following as part of that virtual host:

        ReWriteEngine On
        ReWriteRule ^/(.*) https://www.mysite.com$1 [R,L]

This works fairly well, unless the link within phpBB contains the full http://i-want-to-go-here.com/mypage/here.html What gives? The documentation was not easy for me to understand, so my rule is probably pretty bad. I'm guessing there is some way to filter this based on the ReWriteCond HTTPS=off or something. Help please?

2) Windows and Internet Explorer seem to continuously give errors about only some parts of the page being secure, etc. I'm assuming this error will go away as soon as you folks help me correct my syntax in the above statement.

Thanks GREATLY in advance.