http://www.issociate.de/board/post/102303/mod_proxy_and_authentication_cookies.html
 states:
>When testing we found that the authentication cookie
>is not retained after the response is retrieved from
>the proxy module. This is a major problem because we
>are using ACE/token authentication which uses one-time
>passwords so silent re-authentication cannot happen.

What on earth does this mean? Does it mean that the reverse proxy does send a
Set-Cookie back to the browser but that the browser ignores it? In that case
maybe the cookie path is wrong, or the cookie domain is wrong. Maybe the cookie
is marked as secured but the connection is not SSL. There are a variety of
reasons why a browser would not submit a cookie to a server.

It would be interesting to see a network trace of such a scenario where the
cookie is "lost", or have access to a web site where the problem occurs. I am
convinced that the culprit lies outside Apache and that the network trace would
uncover that.

I personnaly use Apache 2.0 quite extensively in different reverse proxy
configurations with or without rewrite. In some cases an Apache authentication
module sets an encrypted session cookie, in other cases it is the backend J2EE
server that does set the cookie. And Apache has never lost a cookie.

If you are convinced that Apache does not forward the cookie, I would advise
you to post a bug report to issues.apache.org/bugzilla and include a detailed
description of the scenario leading to the problem. The scenario should be as
simple as possible and reproductible.

-ascs