Hi,

In my tiredness when I wrote my first mail, I missed a couple of important
points.

We are already using proftpd.  Every user must also have the right to write
data into the public directory which is above all other directories.  We have
there /ftp/public and /ftp/users as our two directories.  Configuring so that
users can only access their own directory is unfortunately not possible,
partly because of the need to write to the public area and partly because of
the need for users to get to group directories.

I've written here because I'm hoping someone else here has already solved this
problem and can tell me how they did it.

regards
Markus