Just a couple of ideas...

- DNS: is it working? If apache needs it to resolve IPs (eg, if you have VH
tags containing a domain instead of an IP) and it isn't working, apache can get
stuck.

- Hanging forever is sometimes due to an errant firewall - it silently drops
the packet rather than refusing the connection, that way an attacker can't
distinguish between active security and network latency. Did you enable/adjust
the FW (ipchains?) on the server?

- you have: apache + server_1 = broken, apache + server_2 = works
therefore server_1 != server_2
So what changed on server_1? Any chance of a re-install?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I have been running an Apache 2 server for several months on a Linux
> Fedora Core 2 Virtual Private Server.  The server has
> guaranteed 256 MB
> of RAM. The Apache 2 is used for development purposes only.
> The Apache
> is configured with mod_python and with subversion/webdav.
>
> Earlier today I try to access the web site and my browser hangs.  It
> does not say "connection refused", it does not say "connection
> timeout," it hangs for as long as I let it, even as long as a half an
> hour if I don't hit the stop button.
>
> When I do apachectl -k stop, it says, "httpd (no pid file) not
> running."  But the process list shows that it's still running.  I kill
> the process and the browser finally responds "connection closed."   I
> start the Apache again, try and connect, and the browser hangs once
> again.  I try cleaning out the PID files, rebooting the server, and
> checking all the access and error log, but to no avail.
>
> Everything else on the VPS works fine.  I have a version of Apache1.3
> running fine.  SSH, the FTP server, and MySQL are all working too.  My
> VPS power panel shows that system resources are well below critical
> levels.
>
> I get so frustrated I install a clean version of Apache, in a separate
> folder, running on a separate port.  But the exact same problem
> happens!  Then I try switching to a different server that I
> run, and do
> the exact same Apache installation - and it works!
>
> So for some reason Apache2 all of a sudden just stopped
> deciding to run
> on this one server, and I cannot do anything to get it back, not even
> rebooting.
>
> On the server where Apache works, after I start it and I run ps -Af I
> get:
>
> root     27642     1  0 15:27 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
> nobody   27643 27642  0 15:27 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
> nobody   27644 27642  0 15:27 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
> nobody   27645 27642  0 15:27 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
> nobody   27646 27642  0 15:27 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
>
> But on the server where it doesn't work I just get this:
> root     20352     1  0 15:48 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/local/apache3/bin/httpd -k start
>
> So I have decided that the problem is that Apache is not
> spawning child
> processes.
> The browser makes a socket connection to the server, but Apache has no
> child process to pass the connection off to, so the browser just waits
> forever to get a response back.
>
> The question is, how in the world do I fix this?  Why did it
> happen all
> of a sudden out of nowhere?
>
> Halp appreciated!

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen
Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a
private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business
activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et
personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and
any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any
hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and
the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.