Thanks Kevin  - you got me thinking….I’ve got it going J, but I think it was all along!

Being rather new to all this (the linuxbox was built yesterday)…

The problem was I was accessing the html file by file:///var/www/html/wp.html  when  submitted the cgi script will point to /var/www/html/cgi-bin/mycgi.cgi– this gives the error message. It makes sense to me now.

If I use http://localhost/wp.html it works fine, likewise if I access the cgi file with http://localhost/cgi-bin/mycgi.cgi it works

It was rather a good way of making me read the documents for the last two days, but I do feel a bit of an idiot.

Many thanks to Mark and Kevin for your help, it is much appreciated

Stephen