On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Brian Candler wrote:

What's the current best way to support frontpage publishing? [*]

The two main contenders I've found are:

- http://www.rtr.com/
- http://sourceforge.net/projects/mirfak

Anyone here have a view as to which is better (for your own definition of
'better')? I'm running Apache 1.3 under FreeBSD, and our server farm is
proxy based, CGI requests are mod_proxied to a separate backend cluster. At
the moment I'm getting RPC returns saying 'There is no web called ""', which
isn't very helpful.

Brian,

These have to work together.

You need to get the frontpage support from rtr.com, and extract it the the (very universal) /usr/local/frontpage.

From there, to make it play nice with apache, you can compile and build
mirfak.

Doing it the "pure" rtr way requires patching your httpd source and/or compiling a static module. Bad juju.

Additionally, Mirfak gives you the cool ability to add apache configuration commands per-vhost enabling or disabling the frontpage support, so it's not "out there" for people to mess with in the event a hole is found.

I've got this all running well.

-Dan

I'll probably try mirfak tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any advice
they'd be prepared to share.

Thanks,

Brian.

[*] I personally hate the idea, and don't see why end-users can't just
configure their client to use FTP or WebDAV, but it's been given as a
tickbox we have to have.

"You can't call yourself a dork if you don't use UNIX!"

-Dan Mahoney, May 1997