I did not have a problem with includes working.  My problem that all
these warning messages were being written to the error log. In order for
includes to work, you need the following in your httpd.conf file:

The Options directive after the <Directory ....> directive that defines
your Document Root must have   Includes or IncludesNoExec
IncludesNoExec is safer as it doesn't allow executables in shtml
files.

You also need :
AddType text/html .shtml

Good luck.

Malka Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
08-934-3036