Sniff the request with netcat or telnet, attempting to

GET /file.html HTTP/1.1
Host: www.example.com

presuming file.html is protected, see what comes back.  Do you have your
global utf8 charset set up, or set up to use utf8 for at least your 401
error document?

If the content-type; ...; charset= is not utf8, that's your issue.  If
it is, I'm afraid Craig is right - it's an issue in the browser.

Bill

Droska, Hans-Peter wrote:
Hi!

We have a problem with our htaccess-Files since we have changed our charset
to UTF-8.
Our Apache shows the HTML-Pages perfect but if I try to access a restricted
area, the popup with username and password show the text in "AuthName" in
ISO8859-1.
If I covert the htaccess-File with "iconv -f UTF-8 -t ISO8859-1 -o .htaccess
.htaccess" everything looks pretty fine.
So, what do we have to do that the Apache show the Password-Request also in
UTF-8 instead of ISO8859-1??

Thanks,
Hans-Peter

.