Oh silly me. It worked for me because I put in on the / directory...

I made a few tests (on Solaris). I managed to establish that
<Directory "/">
    Options None
    AllowOverride All
    Order deny, allow
    Deny from all
</Directory>

   <Directory /u01/assmorg/public_html>
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        Order Allow,Deny
        Allow from All
   </Directory>

does work but

   <DirectoryMatch ^/u01/[^/]+/public_html>
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        Order Allow,Deny
        Allow from All
   </DirectoryMatch>

does not.

So, I cannot see any reason why your config should not work for you...

-ascs