On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 09:15:11AM -0400, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> >However, is there a way to do the same for ErrorLog? That is, without
> >having
> >to set up a <VirtualHost> container for each site (since I'm using
> >mod_rewrite for mass virtual hosting). In particular, I want each site's
> >CGI
> >stderr output to be filterable.
>
> http://www.blinkenlights.nl/apache/
>
> http://www.gluelogic.com/code/apache/
>
> Just for starters.

Hmm. It seems to me that these only work for Apache's own errors. If you
write a CGI which does (say)

    print STDERR "I was called from $ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}\n";

then all you get in the error log is

"I was called from 127.0.0.1"

and it is not prefixed by
[Mon Aug  8 12:33:37 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]
as Apache's own messages are.

It looke like the CGI script is given the errorlog filehandle directly as
its stderr:

        /* Script output to stderr is already directed to the error log
         * on Unix, thanks to the magic of fork().
         */

So AFAICT, some more substantial modifications are needed to make this work
with CGI stderr output.

Got any more pointers?

Thanks,

Brian.