I'm trying to support a web-application and
unfortunatley I don't have access to the code, so I
have to come up with a workaround. The problem is that
there is a client piece used to run queries, some of
which take hours, and the end-users' firewalls are
closing the connections because they sit idle while
the query is running. The ideal solution is for the
web-app to send periodic keep-alives while the query
is being processed, but again I don't have accessed to
the code. So I thought I might be able to place a
proxy server (e.g. apache with mod_proxy) and set it
up to send keep alives.

Client <==a==> Proxy <==b==> web-app

Connection 'a' would go through a firewall but the
proxy server would send keep-alives to maintain it,
while connection 'b' would not be monitored.

I have apache/mod_proxy set up and I'm using ProxyPass
in httpd.conf. However 'connection a' is still getting
timed out. Any suggestions are welcome.

Ollie