I'm trying to set it up so that users of my site can enter a url like
"username.mysite.com/profile" that will rewrite to
"mysite.com/profile.jsp?u=username", or something of that nature. From
what I understand, using mod_rewrite is the best way to do this.

I've added the following to my httpd.conf file -

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule (some reg exp)              /mysite.com/profile.jsp?u=($1)

I'm using mod_jk2, which is configured so that any url request made to
apache that ends with ".jsp" will be handed off to Tomcat.

The problem is, when my rewrite rule executes, the
/mysite.com/profile.jsp?u=($1) isn't handed off to Tomcat. Instead,
apache looks for a file called /mysite.com/profile.jsp located in my
document root! Obviously not what I desire to happen.

I've seen sites posting solutions to related problems, saying I should
change the order of loading in httpd.conf for mod_rewrite and mod_jk2.
But that didn't change anything. Can somebody please tell me what I've
done wrong here?