Try something like
RewriteCond ${MyMap:%{HTTP_HOST}|not-found} !=not-found
RewriteRule (.*) http://${MyMap:%{HTTP_HOST}}$1

And be sure to use the RewriteLog to help you debug.

Joshua,

Just one more thing very quickly (I haven't tested, it's on a production server now),

Can I put wildcard records in the map file as well, or will that break things?

*.host.com *.internal.host.com ?

I would believe that this will affect other lines in the map file, hence, I'd rather ask first before just doing it....

--
Chris.