William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Neil A. Hillard wrote:

On the ProxyPassReverse in Location bug - this was a show-stopper, end of story, for us. If Nick hadn't fixed this (under consultancy) we'd have been looking at products other than Apache.

ROFL - I always love these posts.  Would have been looking at another
product with -no- source code, and the next time you were bit, would
have been between the rock and the proverbial hard spot :)

How is that relevant to fixing a showstopper bug in Apache?  Apache
isn't the only opensource show in town (ISTR when Neil contacted me
about this, they were using another opensource product alongside
Apache in their setup, but that would be offtopic to discuss here).

More to the point, we should be responsive to our users' needs.
We have many, many users - such as the OP in this thread -
wanting a fix for Bug 10722 (which is the 'other' reverse proxy
problem - not the <Location> bug I originally fixed for Neil).

Apache isn't a product, it is a project, a perpetual work in progress.
Thus engineers like Nick or my employeer step in and solve the bugs,
and even <gasp> give back the solutions to the entire community :)

That's what I'm trying to do.  Six months ago I was just a bit too lazy
to finish the job of getting the fix into the basic product: that was
my fault - not Neil's.  This time I'm trying to rectify that.

I went into that task thinking I was going to sort things out for
Yet Another Dumb Admin, and came out with entirely the opposite view:
Neil had done everything right, including a detailed and accurate
analysis of the bug.  That in itself is a valuable contribution.

Have you voted for the backport?

--
Nick Kew