Did you debug the code?
RE: Yes.  Problem only occurs with large data set.

Throw in some timers?
RE: What would we be timing.

Run some stats on your
queries?
RE: Explain plan on queries look good.

 I do not think that any of the process timeouts will do anything
for you, but I think you already found that out.

What have you done on the oracle side to test this?
RE: Queries run fine from sqlplus.  Explain plans analyzed.

Is the root of the problem:

  It takes too long to get html?
RE: Yes.  When data set is large, only the first html data up to the end of the
first
<form> tag is returned.  (debug statements are also returned).   Then the next
echo "<br>..."
statement does not return - again only on large data set. On smaller data set,
all the stuff comes back.

  -OR-

  It does not return any html?
RE: No, only part of page is returned on large data set.  On smaller data set,
all is returned.

In either case, logic points to either database query bottlenecks, OR
looping queries. In which case, have you monitored your apache server as
the page is being requested?
RE: Yes, entry in access log sometimes takes a long time to come up, when query
is stopped on browser client and resubmitted.

Is RAM/Proc normal during the request?
RE: Top shows ok.

There
is a remote possibility that something is out of whack in the php code. It
is highly doubtful that apache is involved.
RE: I wouldn't count that out.  Question is what could it be?  Apache Timeout
used to be a factor in large data sets.
Doesn't appear to be now, though am not sure - it's set to 6000 now.

Charlie
8/18/05 6:53 a.m. MST