I want to force use of https on directories where authentication is
required to avoid sending htpasswords in the clear.  Example:

<Directory /web/www-data/blah/blah>
    RewriteEngine        on
    RewriteCond          %{HTTPS} !=on
    RewriteRule     (.*) https://www.ucop.edu/blah/blah/$1 [R]

    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Restricted Area"
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/httpd/htpasswd
    AuthGroupFile /usr/local/etc/httpd/htgroup
    Require group admins
</Directory>

This seems to work fine.  As soon as I authenticate, I'm pushed into
https.  But is the authentication itself actually encrypted?  What is
apache's behavior in this case?

p.s. mod_rewrite experts feel free to make suggestions about my rules.

--

-ashley

Did you try poking at it with a stick?