>  If I have a directory "test" with two files in "file.xml" and
> "file.html" can anyone tell me which should get served if I address it
> from a browser using
>
> "http://localhost/test/file";
>
> i.e. without specifying the suffix.
>
> also is this behaviour configurable?
>
> thanks,
>
>         Dave.

Maybe you're looking for DirectoryIndex.

<Location /test>
  DirectoryIndex file.xml file.html
</Location>

With that config, Apache will look for file.xml first, and then
file.html if the first is not found. As far as serving up file.xml
when only "file" is requested, you could do something with
mod_rewrite.

RewriteRule ^/test/file$ /test/file.xml  <- will use file.xml for
"http://localhost/test/file";

.. or something like that. Check the syntax