Axel, thanks for your answer..

Yes I did look in my virtual host error_log file. And as I request the URL :
http://www2n.unil.ch:8080/

I get the message :
[Mon Aug 29 11:37:11 2005] [error] [client 130.223.8.33] File does not exist: /data/8080/favicon.ico

Which let me think that the correct documentroot is chosen by the server ie /data/8080.

Moreover as I request http://www2n.unil.ch:8080/dir8080
which is a subdirectory of /data/8080 including an index.html file
I get the message:
[Mon Aug 29 11:27:40 2005] [error] [client 130.223.8.33] Directory index forbidden by rule: /data/8080/dir8080/

As I add index.html to both URL, then the correct document is served.. ie from the correct documentroot.

I already use <ip-address>:* in my virtual host definition.

Yes I already have a
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var
 in my main httpd.conf

I also add again that directive in my virtualhost definition in several way such as:
    <Directory /data/8080>
    DirectoryIndex index.html
    IndexOptions FancyIndexing
    </Directory>

The problem may be due to the simultaneous use of the VirtualDocumentRoot directive and the DirectoryIndex one..

Cordialement,

Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV a écrit :
Well, if you use separate log files for the main server and the virtual host,
you will be able to see which of the servers actually serve the request. I
suspect that at least requests for :8080 are served by the main server instead
of being served by the virtual host, and that this is the reason why your
VirtualDocumentRoot does not kick in for such requests.

I did some tests myself and I did not manage to make it work unless using
<ip-address>:*.

That said, since you also have a DirectoryIndex in the main server, I do not
really see why the index page is not served from the main server document
root... Are you sure http://www2n.unil.ch:8080/index.html is not served from
your browser cache? Did you check your logs?

-ascs