That would be my preferred solution as well.

Or simply specify the file as default-document for the site/folder with DirectoryIndex?

I never use "Options Indexes" !!! I don't want to allow directory browsing, unless needed in special
cases. For security reasons.

By why would you want to do it this way to begin with? It is not common to have a pdf-file as default document. You will only have problems with it, and confused users. And you can't specify HTML meta
headers such as title, keywords, author and so on.

Just some thoughts:
When you send non-html content to users, the response header Content-Type is used by the client to determine what to do with it, in this case "Content-Type: application/pdf". Apache uses the filename suffix to determine mime-type, as specified in /etc/mime.types in linux. Will apache return the correct Content-Type header when the requested resource is a folder? Just a thought.... Otherwise the browser
will get really confused.

Guenther, Christian wrote:

why not use a redirect to a file, in that case the pdf?
Christian Günther
SAP NetWeaver Technical Consultant
REALTECH
*REALTECH system consulting GmbH*