* steve wrote:

> When performing maintenance on a server, I'd like to show a message
> but not have it cached by a proxy or indexed by a search engine. The
> best way I can see is to set a status code of 503 -- but there is no
> way to do it within an apache http.conf file. Any advice?

The basic idea is to use mod_alias:

Redirect 503 /

However, if you want to define a nice error document it gets a bit
complicated. You have to avoid that the error document generates a 503,
too. You need some regex magic for this task (only httpd 2.0 and later
because of the more advanced PCRE engine):

ErrorDocument 503 /foo.html
RedirectMatch 503 ^/(?!foo\.html)

(something like this, it's untested, but it shows the principle)

nd
--
Winnetous Erbe: <http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>