On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:58, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Interesting.  I haven't looked into it in detail, but I suspect that
> what you are trying to do is not possible with suexec activated.  If
> the request is run through mod_userdir, then it must follow the
> user-specific suexec rules.  That includes the script living under
> /home/user/public_html and being owned by the user.
>
> So you have two choices:
>
> 1. Don't use suexec.  This would be the thing to do unless you really
> need suexec.

I do not need suexec, so I'll go with this choice, thanks. Since it's a
default SuSE install, it came along for the ride. Up until now I've built my
toy apache's from source, but since there is some merit to using pre-built
bundles, I decided to experience that particular joy. Now I need to delete
suexec - is it just a matter of a config change, or do I need to rebuild from
source? I hope the doco is clear. I'm newish to apache, despite doing UNIX
for more years than I care to mention.

Do you think this needs to be a bug/misfeature report to the Apache teams
then? I don't have enough in-depth knowledge to consider whether
DirectoryIndex needs to use suexec by necessity or convenience, and whether
there's any logical reason why it can't work, or whether it just needs more
code throwing at it. Perhaps the codesters need to be informed?

This email is from Civica Pty Limited and it, together with any
attachments, is confidential to the intended recipient(s) and the
contents may be legally privileged or contain proprietary and private
information. It is intended solely for the person to whom it is
addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review,
copy or distribute this email. If received in error, please notify the
sender and delete the message from your system immediately. Any views
or opinions expressed in this email and any files transmitted
with it are those of the author only and may not necessarily reflect
the views of Civica and do not create any legally binding rights or
obligations whatsoever. Unless otherwise pre-agreed by exchange of hard
copy documents signed by duly authorised representatives, contracts may
not be concluded on behalf of Civica by email. Please note that neither
Civica nor the sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses and it
is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any).
All email received and sent by Civica may be monitored to protect the
business interests of Civica.