I stripped down the httpd.conf to barebones, using these directives:

<Directory />
    Options All
    AllowOverride All
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
</Directory>

There is a symlink in DocumentRoot "mp3share" pointing to this:

<Directory "/usr/local/shares/forrie/mp3">
        Options All
</Directory>

I created a symbolic link owned by root, by www, and by the id "forrie".  None of them work, they all provide this error in the log:

Fri Sep 09 12:30:44 2005] [error] [client 192.168.1.99] Symbolic link not allowed: /usr/local/www/data/mp3share

As far as I can tell, this is correct.   Again, I had no problem on my 1.3.x server using this:

Alias /mp3/ "/usr/local/shares/forrie/mp3"

<Directory "/usr/local/shares/forrie/mp3">
    Options All
</Directory>

I note someone else posted a response, indicating a similar problem with symlinks and apache-2.0.54.

_F