-----Original Message-----
From: Arun G Nair [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Atlast I got it working !!!! So name based virtual hosting *is* possible with
> mod_ssl.

No it isn't. You only have encryption working. You do not have authentication.

Just to put the record straight for anyone in the future who might read this
thread, the poster is running a development setup and is only interested in
having the HTTP session encrypted. He does not car that all the namebsed hosts
are using the same certificate (the cert from the first VH). THis is fine if
you only want to encrypt the traffic but is useless in a commercial
environement where it is essential that the common name in the cert matches the
URL the user typed in. Put it this way; would you be happy to type your
credit-card number into a webpage which had "amazon" in the address bar but
where if you looked into the cert you saw that the common name was
"dodgy-dealer.com"?

Another analogy: if you had a million dollars to send to the bank and an
armoured car arrived to collect it, would you be happy to put your cash in the
car? It would be safe from robbers on its way to the bank, but how would you
know it was really going to go to the bank? You'd ask the driver for some ID,
I'd hope!

In the real world, authentication is every bit as important as encrpytion so
this is no real solution.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

----------httpd.conf---------

< IfModule mod_ssl.c >     Listen 443     Listen 80     AddType
application/x-x509-ca-cert .crt     AddType application/x-pkcs7-crl .crl< /
IfModule >< IfModule mod_ssl.c >
     SSLCACertificateFile /etc/apache/ssl.crt/ca-bundle.crt
SSLPassPhraseDialog builtin     SSLSessionCache dbm:/var/run/ssl_scache
SSLSessionCacheTimeout 300     SSLMutex file:/var/run/ssl_mutex
     SSLRandomSeed startup builtin     SSLRandomSeed connect builtin< /
IfModule >NameVirtualHost 172.16.2.0:80<VirtualHost
172.16.2.0:80>        ServerName abcn.com        DocumentRoot
/var/www/abc</VirtualHost># SSL Virtual HostsNameVirtualHost
172.16.2.0:443< VirtualHost 172.16.2.0:443 >    DocumentRoot /var/www/abc
ServerName secure.abcn.com    SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile    /etc/apache/ssl.crt/server.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache/ssl.key/server.pem    SetEnvIf User-Agent
".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown    CustomLog
/var/log/ssl_request_log \
        "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"< / VirtualHost >
----------httpd.conf---------

Let me know if this can be trimmed down some more. Thanx everyone, especially
Davide.

Regards,
Arun

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and
any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any
hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and
the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.