Susan,

What do your apache logs show (httpd-ssl_request.log,
httpd_access.log and httpd_error.log in /var/log or
something similar)?  Yes it sounds like your SSL is
running on the server but the server is not
authenticating against the certificates, meaning it
does not have access to the certificates (perhaps) or
the certs are corrupt, possible file permissions and
ownership issues on the certs and their parent
directories, etc.

There are admins that come online a bit later today
with more Apache event experience than I, specifically
concerning the fact that your client(s) are requested
for cert acceptance yet the server disconnects after
response.  (For example, the server may not send the
certificate until it gets an acceptance response from
the client.) The more info you can put up the faster
you may get a resolution (perhaps the apache and ssl
config files, if you can, for example).

A long shot would be to check for the IfDefine SSL
directives in the apache and ssl config files because
this relates to how you also start SSL (I comment them
out, for example, so that SSL starts without the
deprecated SSL start command, etc.).

BZAG