>Hello,
>>
>> I have a very unusual problem running httpd 1.3.27 on Solaris 2.8.  The
>> daemon is forking and consuming 80-95% of the CPU and meanwhile requests

>> are just hanging.  Nothing seems to be making it into the logs.  We're
>> totally perplexed about this one.  Unfortunately these production
>> systems can't be upgraded to 2.0 due to 3rd party plugins that do not
>> support Apache httpd 2.0.

> If it is only one process, it is likely some code or the stated 3rd party
> process. What is it that you are running, and does it use a database?
> Also, check your logs to see if a bunch of requests precede the outage.
> Restart Apache, and see if there is it gradually starts to consume
> resources. There are many things that you need to consider before assuming
> that you are DoS'd. A very popular cause could be that the 3rd party thing
> cannot keep up with the connections that apache is feeding it. Thus apache
> connections are held in wait. This would explain CPU due to the wait, and
> no response because apache runs out of connections.

Thanks for the feedback.  Since my last email I was able to confirm that we are
infact using 1.3.33 instead of 1.3.27.  I appologize for this mistake.  Also I
was able to confirm that there is no DoS attack from the load balancers we have
in front of the web servers.  The number of users hitting the site are in fact
very low.

The apache servers are also in a wait state but we could not isolate exactly
what is causing this wait while apache is forking up a storm to handle new
requests.

Is there some way we can tell exactly what apache is waiting for?

I tried running truss on the apache process and it did not tell me much.
Basically we saw the parent process sending SIGALRM signals to clients which
would basically respond and poll some descriptors then fall back into a wait
state.

Thanks,
Alex