Try looking in /var/www

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:40 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] httpd won't start

Jessica Rasku wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> OK, I put in NameVirtualHost 216.107.115.123:80, and put <VirtualHost
>> *:80> in one of the websites, then restarted apache.  I still get the
>> warning below,
>

> Is there a reason that you want 216.107.115.123 only IP address that
> these sites are available from?  Do you have multiple IP addresses?

No, I just misunderstood your very clear suggestions.  It was late.

> If you don't have a reason for restricting then I would suggest *:80
> as the NameVirtualHost setting, and leave your virtual hosts the same.

I made that change this morning and now no longer get this warning!

>>   Not Found
>>
>> The requested URL /index.html was not found on this server.
>

> I would think this is an indication that it's looking elsewhere than
> the default dirrectory.  This may be a good sign.  Create a simple
> index.html in the DocumentRoot and see if it's loading.  If so you've
> got something good going on.

But it did not load.  Now I have to find out where it is looking.  Any
suggestions? The person who installed this system left the country the
other day and won't be available until mid November.