Thanks Ricardo, I'm getting closer but am still having a problem.  I've tried compiling against netscape, sun and mozilla and every time I run configure I get the following warning:

checking for ldap_init in -lldap... yes
  setting APRUTIL_EXPORT_LIBS to "-lldap -llber"
  setting APRUTIL_LIBS to "-lldap -llber"
checking for ldapssl_install_routines in -lldap... no
checking for ldap_start_tls_s in -lldap... yes
checking for ber_init in -llber... yes
checking lber.h usability... yes
checking lber.h presence... yes
checking for lber.h... yes
checking for ldap.h... yes
checking ldap_ssl.h usability... no
checking ldap_ssl.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: ldap_ssl.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: ldap_ssl.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: ldap_ssl.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: ldap_ssl.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: ldap_ssl.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: ldap_ssl.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists.  ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------ ##
checking for ldap_ssl.h... yes

When I then try to compile I get an error about TLS not being present.  Is there something specific I need to do?  Here's my configure:

./configure --enable-mods-shared=all --with-ldap  --with-ldap-lib=h-ldap-include=/usr/include/mozilla-1.7.12/ldap --enable-ldap --enable-auth-ldap --with-ssl --enable-so

Thanks

Marc

On 9/30/05, Ricardo M. Stella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to build the mod_ldap and mod_auth_ldap modules on fedora core
> 4
> and am running into some issues. These are the steps I took:
>
> 1. download and extract httpd-2.0.54 source
> 2. copy the netscape sdk to srclib/ldap
> 3; run "./configure --enable-ldap --enable-auth-ldap"
> 4. run "make"
>
> When it gets to the mod_ldap and mod_auth_ldap modules it looks as if it
> can't find the netscape libraries. Here is the compilation command:

First, afaik, you need to give configure the '--with-ldap' option or else
it won't even look into it...

There's a bug in the build of mod_ldap that never looks for the netscape
SDK and only tries to build with openldap (hence it fails).

I just posted a fix for this to the list 3 days ago.  I also included a
patch so TIMEOUT is also implemented when using the sdk.

Note that I had no luck with Sun's released SDK ( 5.06).  I did compile
Mozilla's latest version (5.14 or 5.16 - can't remember) and it works fine
(New version of Mozilla's sdk do include ssl functionality now).

Basically, to get it to use, look for:

srclib/apr-util/includes/arp_ldap.h.in

Search for:

/* FIXME: remove this when above code works.  Default to build with
* OpenLDAP until apu-conf.m4 support exists */
#define APR_HAS_OPENLDAP_LDAPSDK 1
#define APR_HAS_LDAP_SSL 1

And change it to:

/* FIXME: remove this when above code works.  Default to build with
* OpenLDAP until apu-conf.m4 support exists */
#define APR_HAS_OPENLDAP_LDAPSDK 0
#define APR_HAS_NETSCAPE_LDAPSDK 1
#define APR_HAS_LDAP_SSL 1

Building against the Netscape/Sun/Mozilla sdk, allows you to do failover.
But you need to have the TIMEOUT patch in, or else if one of the ldap
servers is down (no response) it'll never failover...

There are other patches pending for next release 2.0.55 but these I
mention are not in (AFAIK).

Finally, try to give it a little bit of more options, to help it find stuff:

./configure --with-ldap \
--with-ldap-lib=/usr/local/ldapsdk5/lib \
--with-ldap-include=/usr/local/ldapsdk5/include \
--enable-auth-ldap \
--enable-ldap \