On 10/14/05, Warren Beldad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> what i did is, i really install new FC4 on another harddisk.
> download apache_1.3.33.tar.gz
> tar -xvzf apache_1.3.33.tar.gz
> edit src/Configuration
>        EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --server-uid=root --server-gid=root
> make
> make install
> /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
> cannot start, same error.....apache not designed to serve as root...........
> if i change the user in the httpd.conf to another user, ok it can start
> is there any log files that we can trace what's really wrong with this?

It's been so long since I installed 1.3 that I forgot: you can't mix
and match the src/Configuration and ./configure method of configuring
apache.  If you use ./configure, you need to actually set the
environment variable EXTRA_CFLAGS (or just CFLAGS) to
-DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE in your shell before running ./configure.
(Alternatively, you can edit src/Configuration.tmpl.)  The reason is
that the ./configure script overwrites src/Configuration with default
values before it begins.

But again, you shouldn't be doing this.  It's a "bad idea" (tm).

Joshua.