Hey, thanks Chuck, I have been looking for something like this for a while, *ab* isn't a very well doumented tool...

On 10/14/05, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi I have in the past run the ab utility.

The blurb about ab benchmarking tool.

For getting a benchmark, you can use a tool called *ab*, or Apache
Bench. This is a tool that comes with the Apache server. If you have
Apache 1.3 or later installed on Linux, *ab* is included. On Windows
it's included with the Apache 2 release. Running *ab* is straightforward
—just pass the uniform resource locator (URL) you want to test, like
so:

In browser address bar run:

ab http://localhost/

I hope this helps.

Chuck

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 08:25 -0500, Jay Paulson wrote:
> I want to benchmark a php program I wrote and I know Apache has a
> benchmarking tool.  However, I've never used it and I don't know a thing
> about benchmarking.  What are some general rules of thumb for doing a
> benchmark?  How would I use the benchmarking tool in Apache to get real
> world like results?  I'm sure I'm missing some questions but if anyone has
> suggestions I would love to hear them as I have never done this before.
>
> thanks for any help!

>    "   from the digest: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Unix/ Linux Systems Administrator
Chuck Amadi
The Surgical Material Testing Laboratory (SMTL),
Princess of Wales Hospital
Coity Road
Bridgend,
United Kingdom, CF31 1RQ.