On 10/22/05, Dan Trainor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello, all -

I'm looking for a way to disable Apache's ability to secure a directory
using the .htaccess method of 'require valid-user'.

Would it be possible to enable/disable this functionality based on an
enviornment variable, for a specific user?  I'm not terribly keen on
Apache's conditional syntax, but I've seen directives for "Ifmodule" in
the past, and I'm wondering if the same style of syntax can be used to
surround a 'require valid-user' directive in Apache, to enable-disable
it for specific users, on the fly.

This question doesn't make any sense to me.  "Require valid-user"
means require an authenticated user.  How could you disable that for a
specific user without first authenticating to find out who the user
is?

Can you explain a little more clearly what you are trying to do?

Joshua.

-----

The initial authentication would take place via PHP form.  I understand
how 'require valid-user' works, and how it's used.

I figured out a way to do it, I'll re-post later on after I test a bit.
 I'm using PHP to use apache_setenv(), and then using IfDefine inside
an .htaccess file here.  It looks to be working....  like I said, I'll
update you on this a bit later after I test more.

Thanks for the help
-dant