I've had good luck using mod_speling. But before that I used a trick where I used samba. The trick is to run samba, mount a share, then serve from that share. Samba is case insensitive.

BTW - I agree - in fact I think it's insane to have a case sensitive file system. But I'll never convince the Unix cult of that.