On 10/28/05, Ben Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I did as suggested, and still get one kind of error I can't understand.
> Here is the complete line as it appears in the error_log, except that
> the client identity is X'd out:
>
> [Fri Oct 28 06:42:19 2005] [error] [client XX.XXX.XX.XX]  Directory
> index forbidden by rule:
> /home/httpd/vhosts/aidsinfobbs.org/httpdocs/articles/
>
> There are others of the same format and message, that refer to other
> directories.  All such data directories are drwxrwxrwx since 2 days
> ago.

File permissions on the directories have nothing to do with it.  The
problem is still the lack of "Indexes" on one of your Options
directives.

Do the following:

1. Add this to the bottom of httpd.conf and restart apache:
<Location />
Options +Indexes
</Location>

2. To find out where the original problem is run
grep Options httpd.conf
and also
grep Include httpd.conf
and then run grep Options on each file that is Included by httpd.conf.

Joshua.