On Monday 31 October 2005 15:02, Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> > Use whatever protocol your
> > backend supports.
>
> I don't have an existing backend.
> In fact, I've got nothing at all yet for this project.

So you could just write it as a module?

> > > AJP looks usable, but I'm not sure if it's the right way.
> >
> > Apache's proxy framework is one option.  DBD is another.
>
> The proxy framework would require my backend to export an HTTP interface?

AJP is part of the proxy framework.  As is HTTP to a backend.

> Is DBD the Database-independent framework with driver?
> How would that be useful for this?

I've no idea, because you didn't say what "this" was.

> > > CGI is no option for performance reasons.
> >
> > Have you benchmarked it?  Most backends (eg anything using servlets)
> > impose a far bigger overhead than CGI.
>
> No, but I'd like my application server to be persistent in order to
> use smart caching.

Fair enough.  That's what DBD is particularly good for.  Or something
else based on a reslist pool of persistent connections.

Perhaps I should just have answered "yes", as it's the only answer I could
safely infer to such a vague and ill-formed question.  But I thought a longer
answer might have been helpful.

--
Nick Kew