Dear mr Kuhn,
the problem does not depends from charset declaration in the page,
even if I declare the charset in Metatags the problem persists.

The correct accented letters are simple text.
The wrong one is the name of a directory that i keep by a filehandling function.

Besides, I've the same problem in a CMS that parses by itself all charset declaration needed.

The problem is in the way that Apache reads the filesystem, or in the filesystem itself and I don't know how to solve it.

Tnx
Alfredo Cosco

Heinrich C. Kuhn wrote:
I had a look at your document with firefox.
The docment does not contain any information
on its doctype nor on its charset. Most of the
accented letters arrive correctly here. (my
Firefox tries to interpret it as ISO 8859-1).

Without a proper charset declaration: I guess
no browser will know for sure how to handle
your accented letters, sorry.

HTH

Heinrich

Hallo,
I made a PHP menĂ¹ with a file handling function pointed on a directory, but accented letters are not recognized.

I made an example on this page:

http://www.clio.unina.it/~snsp/headers/headers.php

i tried to change directives:

AddDefaultCharset

with ISO-8859-1 and utf-8, or "On" and "Off"

but it doesn't change.

So, the same script on other servers works good, and i think is a problem in apache settings on my server (clio)
Thanks
Alfredo Cosco
Italy