Joshua, I believe I found the error of my ways about an hour after this post.

I miss-read the documentation in regards to the CacheEnable setting.  I
initially read this as to the physical location on the file system that
contains the items I want cached.  I was wondering why the example had
"CacheEnable mem /".  I then re-read the document and realized it said "URI".
I then changed the config to use the URI that the incoming requests would hit
and upon restarting the apache server (with disk cache so I could easily verify
it) noticed directory entries in the CacheRoot folder for disk cache.

Is there anything out there that will help me verify cache hits and misses?

Thanks

p.s. I will look into apache 2.1.x after we get through this holiday season.

Matthew