Simon Irwin wrote:

What I've really been looking for is some kind of statement that
OpenSSL version X is only compatible with mod_ssl version X (and
later).  Like I said before, I know that Apache and mod_ssl are
closely tied together, but have never seen anything that notes the
'dependencies' between Apache/mod_ssl and OpenSSL.

Well that wouldn't be Apache or OpenSSL's problem, now would it?

So your best reference is mod_ssl changelog itself, which this
summer noted that the almost-most-recent release was modified to
support OpenSSL 0.9.8.  This answers your question, methinks?

You might be best off grabbing the latest modssl, and backporting
it to support Apache 1.3.12.  As others have indiciated, you will
continue fall deeper into this shaft as time goes on, fixing the
prerequisite of 1.3.12 is far more effective than continuing to
struggle with it.

Bill