Thanks! added ServerAlias www.thecertnetwork.net as suggested.  Did not see
that as an example in the httpd.conf.  I'm learning!

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Bowen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 3:22 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Apache Started to Refuse Connections

Michael Avila wrote:
> Windows XP Pro
> Apache 2.0.55
>
> First time more than 2 or 3 people accessed the server from external
> sources. Just kept getting a message that Apache was refusing the
> connection. Restart would not help. Had to stop and then start and it was
> okay. May happen again. Below is all that is in the error log. Made second
> Virtual Host entry because people access it by both and it was failing the
> second way but works now.

While I don't quite understand your problem description, I can certainly
tell you how to fix the error message tha tyou are getting:

> [Tue Nov 15 14:39:43 2005] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port
80,
> the first has precedence

> http.conf
> =======

You need to add here:

NameVirtualHost *:80

> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     DocumentRoot E:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\docroot
>     ServerName thecertnetwork.net
>     ErrorLog E:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\logs\error.log
>     CustomLog E:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\logs\access.log common
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     DocumentRoot E:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\docroot
>     ServerName www.thecertnetwork.net
>     ErrorLog E:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\logs\error.log
>     CustomLog E:\ApacheGroup\Apache2\logs\access.log common
> </VirtualHost>

Adding that line tells Apache that there's more than one name-based
virtual host on the *:80 address.

However, as it happens, in this case, since both vhosts point to exactly
the same place, it makes rather more sense to combine them into one
vhost, and put a ServerAlias directive in there:

--
Rich Bowen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]