On 11/17/05, Thierry Danard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I thought I could use ProxyPass and RewriteRule to
> achieve this. It works most of the time except that
> Apache sometimes performs a redirect instead of a
> forward.

You need to get more information about "sometimes".  One way to do
this is to use the RewriteLog.

But if you don't find the problem there, I can suggest a couple
alternatives.  One is mod_proxy_balancer, which is included in 2.1
beta.  It can do sticky sessions based on cookies or urls, but not ip
addresses.  So it depends what your appserver needs.  (It probably
wouldn't be too hard to add IP-address-based sticky sessions to
mod_proxy_balancer.)

The other possibility is that, if your appservers already think they
have the same name as the front-end servers, and hence generate
appropriate redirects, you can get rid of the ProxyPassReverse and a
lot of resulting complication.  Your configuration would become
something like:

RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} ^.*[0-4]$
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://appserver1:8080/$1 [P,L]
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://appserver2:8080/$1 [P]