On 11/22/05, Joel CARNAT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had an Apache 2.0.54 running on gentoo/i386.
> I did an minor update (-r9 to -r31 which I suspect to be gentoo
> internals).
>
> Since then, Apache won't start anymore...
> I tried updating a few things (like mod_php, ...), cleanly remove
> packages and remaning directories and reinstalling the package but
> Apache still don't start (anymore).
>
> The error_log says (using -X -e debug) :

> [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
>
> here I should get "Digest: done" but I never.
> anyone thinks of somewhere I must look...
> I already did a lot of checkings but I must be forgetting something =)

mod_auth_digest is asking your system for some random bytes to use for
digest auth.  Your system is not providing them.

If you don't need digest auth, the simple solution is to simply remove
mod_auth_digest.  Otherwise, you'll need to figure out what source of
random numbers apr is using, and why it is failing.  This should be
automatic in the compile, so it is likely that gentoo messed something
up.  But I'm not an expert in this stuff.

Joshua.