> [EMAIL PROTECTED] logs]$ tail error.log [Tue Nov 22 11:27:59 2005] [warn] pid
> file /usr/users/itisgrp/servers/able/logs/httpd.pid overwritten -- Unclean
> shutdown of previous Apache run?

makes me suspect that at least one of the apache instances do not create the
PID file in the correct directory. In this case, fad may be creating the pid
file in the directory of able. Check the PidFile directive in the apache
configurations.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]$ truss -o /tmp/output httpd start

The only trace this will give you is from the script that starts Apache. You
should at least give the -f option to truss. Furthermore, as Joshua suggests,
for trace purposes, start Apache with the -X option.

-ascs