On 11/26/05, Gene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry about that. This is an area that I'm still learning about (one of
> many). Learning question: Why referrer spam? What benefit could anyone
> derive from it? Is there anything on the web about it? (I'll google around.)

Googling for "referer spam" and "google page rank" will fill you in.
(Note that "referer" is deliberately misspelled because of an error in
the http specification.)  In short, google ranks pages in part by how
many links to them it can find on the web.  Since many people post
summaries of their referer logs on their websites, accessing a site
with a fake referer can create a link from a websites statistics page
to the attackers page, thereby increasing its rank in google.

Joshua.