Hi,

I am still trying to make .htaccess to work. If I use, the directives for my directory that I want to set up
.htaccess password for, as

<Directory>
AllowOverride None
<Directory />

<Location /somedirectory/documents>
AllowOverride All
</Location>

where should I put it on httpd.conf file that nothing will affect before it's executed. And should I comment out any other AloowOverride directive?

Thanks much -- Hulya

RELATED PART OF HTTPD. CONF FILE

#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "/documentroot/docs">

#
# Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
# or any combination of:
#   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI MultiViews
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
# The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
# http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#options
# for more information.
#
    Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks

#
# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
#   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
#
   AllowOverride None

#
#
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

</Directory>

#
# UserDir: The name of the directory that is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.
#
UserDir public_html

#
# Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
# for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
#
#<Directory /home/*/public_html>
#    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
#    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
#    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order allow,deny
#        Allow from all
#    </Limit>
#    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order deny,allow
#        Deny from all
#    </LimitExcept>
#</Directory>
#
# DirectoryIndex: sets the file that Apache will serve if a directory
# is requested.
#
# The index.html.var file (a type-map) is used to deliver content-
# negotiated documents.  The MultiViews Option can be used for the
# same purpose, but it is much slower.
#
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var index.php

#
# AccessFileName: The name of the file to look for in each directory
# for additional configuration directives.  See also the AllowOverride
# directive.
#
AccessFileName .htaccess

#
# The following lines prevent .htaccess and .htpasswd files from being
# viewed by Web clients.
#
<FilesMatch "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</FilesMatch>

#
# TypesConfig describes where the mime.types file (or equivalent) is
# to be found.
#
TypesConfig conf/mime.types

#
# DefaultType is the default MIME type the server will use for a document

> Hello,
>
> I have apache 2.0.55 running on solaris 8, along with PHP and mysql. For# Order allow,deny

> some reason I am getting strange responses
> from .htaccess.
>
> First of all, my .htaccess file is on the second level subdirectory but for
> some reason, I get the password window
> at home page, and when I click on cancel two, three times, it shows the
> page without the header which is SSI.
> My home page is "index.html" and sub directory pages are being served from php.
>
> My configuration for .htaccess is like below, which is set to
> "AuthConfig"  Is there anything else that needs to be added / changed?
> Is there any specific setting for serving php controlled pages?

Give us some more concrete information about exactly where your
.htaccess file, DocumentRoot, etc are, and exactly what you see in the
access_log and error_log.

Joshua.