> > If this is wrong then why is the proper web page showing up? Look at the
> > ALIAS dir name. Isn't the <Directory name supposed to be that
> name? It is
> > the way that I have everything else and they work. And, aside from not
> > getting the auth dialog box, it works in that I get the proper
> web page. If
> > I was getting an error or not getting the right page I would agree.
> >
> > Does that sound right?
>
> Nope.  The Alias is what gives you the webpage.  The <Directory>
> section is used to apply additional config information to that area,
> such as authentication.  One is working, the other  isn't.  The docs
> are very clear that <Directory> applies to file-system directories,
> not to webpaths.
>
> Joshua.

Ah, then that is the error of my thinking. I thought there was a "tie-in"
between the two. By using the ALIAS I could refer to the directory using the
ALIAS'd name. I thought they referred to the same thing internally. That was
the error of my ways.

Sooooo, does changing the <Directory> work? YES!

Thank you. Your patience working with me prevailed and now I understand that
part of Apache better. Being it worked with everything else displaying the
proper webpage I was misinformed in my thinking that the names were
synonymous. I now need to go back and change the rest of my <Directory>
settings to refer to the real path.

Thank you!

Mike