> Hi all,
>    I am getting ready to install Tomcat 4.x as on a test bed, and I am
> wondering what is the usual and customary installation directory.  /usr,

> /sbin, etc.  Any comments appreciated - yes I am fairly new to Linux,
> apache and a neonate with Tomcat.

Hi Bod,

Is there a reason to use Tomcat 4.x? I would suggest to use Tomcat 5.x,
Tomcat 5.5.12 being the last stable release. As for the installation
directory, I use to install tomcat in /opt/jakarta but that's just a
preference.

By the way, Tomcat 5.5 is designed to run on J2SE 5.0 and later and uses
the Eclipse JDT Java compiler for compiling JSP pages.  This means that
you no longer need to have the complete JDK to run Tomcat, a Java Runtime
Environment (JRE) is sufficient.  You can download it from
http://java.sun.com/j2se.
I personnaly use the JRE in the form of RPM packages, not the
self-extracting binary file (as a root:
./jre-1_5_0_<version>-linux-i586-rpm.bin)

Remember also to set an environment variable named JAVA_HOME to the
pathname of the directory into which you installed the JRE, in this case:
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05. To have it set globally, create the file
profile.local in /etc and write: export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05
(or whatever folder used )

In tomcat 5.5.x, Tomcat's administration web application is no longer
installed by default. Download and install the "admin" package to use it.

If I'm not wrong, tomcat comes wit two connectors: before starting to
configure mod_jk (or mod_proxy_ajp, depending of the version of the apache
installed), verify that tomcat works by going to
http://address_of_your_server:8080

To connect Tomcat to Apache, you need to use:
1 mod_jk, the Tomcat redirector module. The ajp13 protocol should be used,
as it’s the only one known by Tomcat 4 and 5
2 Setup working entities, i.e Workers, between the apache and Tomcat
engines using the mandatory workers.properties file (a Tomcat worker is a
Tomcat instance that is waiting to execute servlets or any other content
on behalf of some web server).

Concrete steps are:
1 create the jk.conf file in /etc/apache2/conf.d (or wherever are your
apache's configuration files)
2 create the workers.properties in /opt/jakarta/tomcat (change it to
reflect your tomcat's installation folder)
3 Add the module "jk" to the list of apache2 modules.

I let you read the doc at tomcat.apache.org for what to put into these
files.

Hope it helps, in my case it works

Gaël