Hmm, I just recreated your setup:
This is the message I got, for .html and .jpg extensions.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /test/test.html on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) mod_python/3.2.2b Python/2.4.2 PHP/5.0.3 Server
at 192.168.1.102 Port 80

Config File #1:
<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/SERVER_FILES/test">
   Options None
   Order deny,allow
   Deny from all
   <Files *.*>
       Order deny,allow
       Deny from all
   </Files>
</Directory>

or Config File #2:
<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/SERVER_FILES/test">
   Options None
   Order deny,allow
   Deny from all
   <Files *.html>
       Order deny,allow
       Deny from all
   </Files>
</Directory>

Check your config file, something might override this function,
because your config rule seems to work for me!

> Hi Jim. Thanks for doing that test on your machine.
>
> Does anyone else on the list have the same behaviour on
> their server with the <Files> directive?
>
> I cannot see what effect the <Files> </Files>
> directive container has on files?
>

> Keith
>

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Jim Walls wrote:
>
> > To: users@httpd.apache.org
> > From: Jim Walls <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Filename Access
> >
> > I have a restricted directory on one of my sites and I
> > looked at my config to see what I have listed.  I also
> > tried the same test that you did on my site.  When I try
> > to access the directory, I get a request for a logon and
> > password (as expected).  When I entered an invalid
> > password, I gave me the Authorization Required page.  I
> > then tried to directly access a file in that directory and
> > got exactly the same response.  Lastly I verified that I
> > was getting the filename right by entering the correct
> > password when prompted and was able to access the file.
> > Here is an extract of my confd file if that helps.  This
> > is obviously on a Windows based Apache.
> >

> > <Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs">
> >
> >     AllowOverride None
> >
> > Order allow,deny
> > Allow from all
> >
> > </Directory>
> >
> > #
> > # Allow Override for .htpasswd access to xxxFiles directory
> >
> > <Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache
> > Group/Apache2/htdocs/K6CCC.org/xxxFiles">
> >   AllowOverride AuthConfig
> > </Directory>
> >
> > In the last Directory statement, it really is one line, but may split in
> > the E-Mail...
> >

> > --
> > 73
> > Jim Walls - K6CCC