Thanks for the message. That certainly sounds plausible to me.

I've temporarily worked around the problem by placing a .htaccess file in the directories with *.wmv files, and putting "Satisfy Any" and "Allow from all" statements in them. Pretty much defeats the purpose of the access control, but at least I can be reasonably assured that users were authenticated in a superior directory anyway.

There must be an answer to this somewhere, if I only knew where to look. If your message does indeed describe the reason why this is happening, I'm curious why MS wouldn't allow for authentication credentials to be passed from the originating browser session to the new session - particularly as it's a case of IE firing up Windows Media Player.

From: Chris Ayoub [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: January 3, 2006 10:11 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] R: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Authentication realms

I'm kind of jumping into the middle of this thread since I have just subscribed recently, but I believe that if an external media player is launched by clicking on the file, then that application will start a different session with the server and cause re-authentication since it is technically a new client... not sure if that helps at all, but I've seen this before so I thought I would throw it in.

Dave Beach wrote:
Interesting. Right-clicking and saving the file from the browser works. A
left-click to open it directly doesn't. Hmm.