I have a reverse proxy which needs double authentication: First the
reverse proxy itself has an authentication, and then the machine that is
reverse proxied to has authentication.

Software used:
- Apache 2.2.0 on Linux (Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon
Update 6), running kernel 2.4.21-37.ELsmp)
- mod_auth_xradius 0.4.6

Despite mod_auth_xradius being used, I have the feeling that this is an
Apache issue and not a radius issue.

I have configured the server as follows (and if you ask 'why ExtFilter'?
mod_proxy_html crashed on this server):

ExtFilterDefine revproxy cmd="/bin/sed s/http:..172.28.0.1[56]//g"
mode=output outtype=text/html

<VirtualHost 145.7.1.73:443>
  SSLEngine on
  ServerName xxx.yyy.zzz

  SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/xxx.yyy.zzz.cer
  SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/xxx.yyy.zzz.key
  SSLCertificateChainFile conf/ssl/ca.cer

  ProxyPass /balancer !
  ProxyPass / balancer://webmailcluster/
  ProxyPassReverse / http://172.28.0.15
  ProxyPassReverse / http://172.28.0.16

  <Location />
    ProxyPassReverse /
    SetOutputFilter revproxy

    AuthName "Token authenticatie verplicht"
    AuthType basic
    AuthXRadiusAddServer 172.28.0.8 XXXXXX
    AuthXRadiusTimeout 5
    AuthXRadiusRetries 2
    Require valid-user
  </Location>

  <Proxy balancer://webmailcluster>
    BalancerMember http://172.28.0.15
    BalancerMember http://172.28.0.16
  </Proxy>
</VirtualHost>

However, this results in a 500 internal server error and the following
error is logged:

[Thu Jan 05 10:10:15 2006] [crit] [client IPaddress] configuration error:
couldn't check access.  No groups file?: /

When I add 'Satisfy any', everything works, but then the radius
authentication is skipped.

- Why is Apache complaining about a groupfile, while I never configured
anything needing a groupfile?
- Is this situation an unsupported scenario, or am I doing something wrong?

If any more information is needed, let me know.

Joost