Some interesting points William.

> Could Sun/HP/IBM/RedHat develop a curriculum/certification
> for complete server administration, including Apache?  I
> suspect they not only could, but currently do have some
> credentials around Server Administration - which must
> include dns, sendmail, httpd and the dozens of other
> services which must be locked down.

Well, I thought a 'real' apache web server was supposed to
be a dedicated machine, not running other services that you
mention above.

So that would imply a minimal system, only running the
Apache daemon, and nothing else that is not required to
support the web server. This machine would be made as secure
as possible, and regular security updates applied.

There are dozens of other services that need to be locked
down securely, but I do not see what relevance they have in
running a dedicated web server. Maybe I'm missing something
somewhere?

Regards

Keith

In practice they are not.